[dba-Tech] Is there a move from Microsoft?

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Thu Apr 14 08:09:55 CDT 2011

But would it run Access?

From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Lawrence
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:27 PM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: [dba-Tech] Is there a move from Microsoft?

Someone sent me a link today matching his experiences and obviously the
experience of the person posting the following link. Is the Apple OS the new
Windows for the young computer literate?

http://tinyurl.com/63rpglg

Is MS Windows dead or at least dying?

I posted an email, maybe a few years or so ago stating that Microsoft
Windows had serious problems because the OS was just a re-build version of a
single PC software package. Approximately, 4 years ago the Mac OS was in the
same position with their platform having roots of a single user, single
tasking and a non networkable product.

When an OS has that type of heritage there is no way to fix it. Microsoft is
now realizing it but they are too proud to admit it and they are paying
substantial for that pride.

So I say to Microsoft, just bail on your OS, pick some version of Unix/Linux
and write a nice presentation interface. FreeBSD is a good choice, as it
license, does not require changes to it, to be shared or be brave and choose
Debian or Redhat Linux, another excellent choice. It could look just like
Windows 7 or 8 with a special different. It would be ultra stable,
absolutely secure, fully multi-tasking, multi-user and it would interface
with every other major OS the planet.