[dba-Tech] New router network puzzle

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 18 13:50:39 CDT 2011

Can I assume everything is working as it should?

First of all, the way the ports for each router is setup states that each is
on a different segment or workgroup.

Given: router0 is 192.168.1.1 and router1 is 192.168.3.1 etc., each is
basically an unrelated network. To be inter-related, their number sequence
would be something like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3,...

If not the only other possible blockage is ports. Most routers come with all
ports blocked but for port 80 and sometime port 25. On the new router make
sure at least port 80 is open and only open other ports as necessary.

Make sure the gateway address to your ISP is setup on you new router0 as it
is the main pass-through firewall. In your Router0 make sure your virtual
servers (in this case routers) are setup correctly

"Router1": application name, Public port: 80, Protocol: TCP, Schedule:
always, IP Address: 192.168.2.1 (or 192.169.1.2) computer name, Private
port: 80, Protocol: 6, Inbound Filter: allow all.

"Router2": application name, Public port: 80, Protocol: TCP, Schedule:
always, IP Address: 192.168.3.1 (or 192.169.1.3) computer name, Private
port: 80, Protocol: 6, Inbound Filter: allow all.

...and so on. There would have to be other ports open if there is a gamer in
the family or you are using RDP, Oracle, MS SQL, remote networking etc.

If you are still having issues send me some pictures from your Router0 base
setup page and the configuration of your virtual page, where all you other
routers have to be managed as if they are computers.

HTH
Jim

PS Please do send those pictures when you get a chance.