[dba-Tech] RAID 5 repair

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 27 20:22:10 CDT 2011

Most RAIDS have a default process keystroke combination during the bootup
sequence like <Ctrl-A>. This either accesses the motherboard ROM or the ROM
on the RAID controller. From there it should be a simply selection menu to
choose the newly installed drive and run the format and striping process.

Before you do anything check the web for any oddities or info you need to
know on the drives and RAID controller...some have issues that should be
addressed like new firm upgrades, incompatibility issues and configuration
cautions etc. Some of the older drive sizes and configurations like a type
of SCSI or IDE are hard to find today.

Once you have found the right combination and the appropriate equipment note
the process times needed to synchronize a new added drive. Sometimes the
process can take as much as 12 hours so be aware that the weekend would be
the best time to start such a process as in the worse case scenario there is
still time to recover from a crashed drive or something like that.

Once you are ready to start just inform the owner of the requirements and
the estimated costs and ask for the keys. He will either say just go ahead
or say no.

Also check with Drew as he appears to have had a fair bit of recent
experience with setting up a RAID 5 system.