[dba-Tech] Command line: move

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Apr 28 11:26:24 CDT 2011

John,

I believe I would use the COPY command, or maybe more likely, the XCOPY
command,  to copy my source files to their destination
COPY source destination [/v] or XCOPY source destination
[/A][/D][/E][/P][/S][/V][/W]

/A           Copy only those files with the archive attribute turned on;
the state of the archive bit is not changed
/D:date    Copy only those files whose date is equal to or later than
the specified date
/E            Create all subdirectories, even if empty
/M           Copy only those files with the archive attribute turned on:
the state of the archive bit is turned off
/P            Prompt before copying each file
/S            Copy files in subdirectories
/V            Verify each write operation
/W           Wait until disk is inserted

Then, I would use the DEL command to delete them from their original
location
DEL file-name

To make things work smoothly, I'd probably want all the source files in
one directory, or tree, so I could write something like this:
XCOPY C:\SOURCE\*.*   C:\DESTINATION\  /E /S /V
Followed by:
DEL C:\SOURCE\*.*

At least, that's where I'd start.  I know me, so I'd test it thoroughly
before I relied on it.  :-)

Best,