[dba-Tech] Cross post - Password security

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 11 10:29:29 CDT 2011

I tend to like increasing the size of a password as that eliminates just
about all hacking. Throw in a few mixed case, numbers and special characters
and you have it sewed up. I do not tend to go with a random character
generated value as the chances of me or anyone else remembering it is highly
unlikely. This just makes the user write the passwords down and stores them
near their station...under the keyboard is a standard practice.

>From the other post, when it comes to SQL logins, I like to make the
password close to uncrackable and this can be done by salting the password.

When the person logs in through Access the password is good but not super
but when the system locks them on to the SQL server it adds up the password.
This makes it so no person, other than via the Access application can get
access to the data.

Access password: George_ Fennimore at 38
           Salt: <DogsBreatheAlberta2001
   Users SQL PW: George_ Fennimore at 38<DogsBreatheAlberta2001

It is easy to remember as George Fennimore, at age 38, came from Dogs
breathe Alberta in 2001. (Everyone comes from the hick town of Dogs breathe,
Alberta, in 2001) ;-)