[dba-Tech] No Desktop Apps on Win8 on ARM?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Dec 3 11:54:17 CST 2011

Hi Jim and Stuart

It seems like the right decision. The comment from Joe Raby says it all:

<quote>
The same thing was said
 ...about XP before it shipped.

Ditto for 95.

There will always be heretics.

If you want to 'wow' customers, you have to show them something new and radically different. People aren't impressed with slow, evolutionary updates. Anytime I show the YouTube video of the first Windows 8 demo on Microsoft's channel to a non-techie layman in my store, they think it looks incredible and want to know how soon it's coming out. The Start Menu/Taskbar will be an 18-year old UI design by the time Win8 ships. Computer users are ready for something newer and simpler.
</quote>

My experience with the YouTube demo is identical. Show it to any "normal" user - those not interested in computers, only what they do. The first unusual thing is that it can catch interest at all, the next is some variant of "wow". It can even catch Mac enthusiasts - a top-notch designer of graphics for broadcast television I showed this ana WP7 phone to, admitted that he was attracted by the clean and non-aggressive design and the "soft" feeling of the interface - he called it European.

Also, think of POS applications where touch screens are widely used. Now everyone will be offered a standard interface.

Of course, you can have a stand for your tablet to place it upright and attach a physical keyboard to mimic a normal pc, but I seriously doubt that this is what people have in mind when they decide for a tablet.

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 03-12-2011 03:01 >>>
Good or bad?

The ARM desktops will put Microsoft's tablets on the same level as iPad.
They will just have their apps running off the internet.