[dba-Tech] Does this look like a secunia knock-off?

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Dec 22 12:54:43 CST 2011

Secunia has no wrap on the market for this type of application and it  is
certainly not a panacea of application updating. But it is a nice app for
non-techies to have.

There are far more intensive client server apps that will take care of a
whole network.

And there are numerous small apps like Cnet's. File Hippo is another that I
use on occasion. (Since Secunia is not perfect and not all inclusive.)
Actually I will probably use it more now that Cnet has included a downloaded
app with theirs. They recently "updated " their app to include a downloader.
Problem #1 it can include the option to install ride along downloads like
toolbars and other CRAP that I detest (defaulted to yes of course) Problem
#2 (for me anyway) is it doesn't download the apps I want it downloads a
link to the apps which when you decide to install then download and install
without giving you a choice a where to save them. So if you have more than
one computer you have to use their app to update each one rather than saving
the apps to a network folder and just installing them via the network. IMO
that stinks.

I uninstalled mine Cnet tech tracker and recommend that you do not use it.
Head over to File Hippo and download free apps from there.