[dba-Tech] Remote Desktop on a server

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:34:34 CDT 2011

Dear Group,

The network guy who set up my client's Windows 2003 Server also set up
remote access.  He used a public DNS outfit to create a domain name
which is what we use for VPN.  Then he also set up one of the network
adapters with an internal IP address of 10.0.0.15...so when one runs
Windows Remote Desktop, the IP address to type in is 10.0.0.15.  Fine.
 This all works.

The only problem is (well, not the ONLY problem...the network guy went
to jail and has been incommunicado since...and I have only a simple
knowledge of network protocols and such) that the VPN setup isn't set
up properly.  I say that because this morning I discovered that one
can simply fire up Windows Remote Desktop, type in the real IP
address, and log right in. (One additional problem is that the owner
of the company has network administrator rights...but NO
PASSWORD!!??!!!)

So my question is, what do I have to do to ensure that Remote Desktop
access ONLY goes through the VPN?  Do we have to set up the VPN from
the server itself?  I thought that that had been done, but now I'm not
so sure.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI