[dba-Tech] Questions about wireless modem and printer

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 15 01:35:31 CDT 2011

In other words, your modem is your Wi-Fi router.

1. You have to access you modem via its address (go to the command prompt
and enter IPCONFIG and your gateway address, the modem/router address should
be displayed0.
2. From your browser enter: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx < your gateway address
and log on. You should have the username and password, as it is most likely
a default, no credentials or a setting your modem company has given you. If
you do not have this check the modem type online and usually they will
provide the default credentials to their modems or you will have to get
those setting from your modem provider.
3. Go into the modems web setting pages and change or add the wireless
credentials...there should be an area for that.
4. You should change the username and password (write them on a label and
stick that label to the modem) to log on to the modem, as well, as it most
likely is some standard default and every bright young neighbour knows it,
can just login anytime and hijack the modem.
5. If there is a remote login setting set to allow remote access as most of
these units have...turned it off. You may have to turn it on again when you
require service but in the meantime you are protected as every support
worker knows your remote login password as it is probably some default.

Now this all depends on who owns the modem. If you own it then you can
legally expect access but if it is just rented then this falls into a grey
area and I am not sure who has authority.

If you want to have some fun, just get the external address the outside
world sees just go to a website like: http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup
and get your address. Now do the same with your browser, to access the
gateway, you can try and login from this position having your appropriate
remote access username/password or having set it and the 'allow remote
login' settings on, in the modem. (Do leave 'allow remote login' setting on
as any script-kiddy can take over your modem in about 10 minutes.)

HTH