[dba-Tech] Data-modelling problem

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:36:20 CST 2011

Let's arbitrarily say that

Child 1 = Locations
Child 2 = Machines
Child 3 = Contacts

A given Customer has at least one location, in which reside one or more
machines. Said Customer also has a number of Contact points, which could
relate to the Customer (chief contact) or the Location (LocationContact) or
the specific Machine (MachineContact).

Given the current muddy waters vis-a-vis globalization, the Euro crisis,
etc., it may well occur, and in some cases already has, that said Company
shrinks from 5 locations to 3, moving some Machines from their defunct
Locations to their new Locations. In that event, chances are that the
Contact will not remain the same, because she may not be willing to move
from Moscow to Vladivostok (although I would opt for the move LOL, it's one
big step closer to Canada; but I digress).

A Customer has Locations.
A Location has Machines.
A Machine may or may not have a ContactPerson. In the event that no Contact
is associated with a Machine, then the Contact person relates to the
Location, and in the event that there is no LocationContact, then the
Contact person belongs to the Company.

The related combo-boxes are easy. My difficulties arise when Company X
needs to close Location Y, and hence move Machines x, y and z to Locations
1, 2 and Scrap.

I am trying to figure out the UI for such events. The underlying SQL code
is trivial, well at least for me, given a few years in this business, but
that is neither here nor there. How to present the collapse of a Location
and the movement of its assets (Machines) to another Location, owned by the
given Customer, and also allow the possibility of Sale to some other party?

Fortunately, all this is still on the drawing-board stage, so it's
basically on my nickel not said Client, and that's cool with me. Once I
finally solve this problem, I shall be able to genericise it and publish a
chapter about it LOL. This is the life of a person mostly retired.

"I keep trying to get out, but they keep dragging me back in." -- GodFather
II.

Time was, all I had to do was databases, and whack a couple of people now
and then. Now I gotta fight viruses and such, and protecting Michael
Coreleone has become a serious job! Like not only my eyes, but cyber-spies
and so forth, and if I make one mistake then... well let's not describe
that outcome. I am the Tom Hagen figure in this novel, close but not
Sicilian, never accepted and only at best tolerated thanks to Michael
Corleone. That's how life is.

I can walk into serious contracts if I choose to play ball with certain
baseball players. I choose not to go down said path. The mob is into the
provincial and federal governments, and any dumb reporter wouldn't have to
overturn many leaves to reveal this.

I'm up for a 3-month contract in tech-writing. I have two choices: say Yes
to certain people and kick back a percentage, or alternatively take my
chances in the swimming pool. Choice One is pretty much guaranteed; Choice
Two is pretty much guaranteed to Not Land the Gig,

I opt for Choice Two. I am absolutely unwilling to buy into this corrupt
system. No thanks! I will subsist on welfate rather than suffer this shyte.

A.

P.S.
According to research performed with 40,000 survey-takers, in many nations
and across many languages, this is the world's funniest joke.

Two hunters are in the forest. One calls out to the other and gets no
response. He searches for and then finds his buddy, who is lying perfectly
still and his eyes are not blinking. He reaches for his cell phone and
calls Emergency Medical Services. He says to the operator, "Help. My friend
is dead! What should I do?"

The EMS operator says, "First things first. Let's make sure he's dead."

A moment's silence, then a gunshot is heard. Guy gets back on his cell
phone and says, "Ok. Now what?"