[dba-Tech] Microsoft bails on Dryad and moved to Haroop

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu Nov 17 14:40:13 CST 2011

Let's see about that. Microsoft has a long history of "embrace and extend" (and extinguish) - adopt an open standard, apply their own proprietary extensions, and, because of their overall dominance, kill off competitors by co-opting the standard or making what was once a standard now a tangled mess.

They even invented the term, so it's just a matter of time before we see if this leopard has truly changed its spots. I personally doubt it. As a recent example, the whole ODF debacle rings a bell.

- Hans