[dba-Tech] Slow opening of Office files on Windows 2003 R2 server

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Oct 28 06:08:44 CDT 2011

Hi all

Should you ever (= most likely) come across this, we located the solution after extended googling/binging.

It is described here in the message dated 2011-10-28 by me:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/w7itproappcompat/thread/fe2dd0b0-c831-45ef-bb56-501e4fae53c7

Clients are a mix of WinXP and Win 7 and Office 2003/2007/2010 in all possible combinations (except 2010 on WinXP) and experienced serious delays in opening and often also closing of Word and Excel files not matching the expected speed of the setup with GBit ethernet all over.

For the Win 7 clients with Office 2007/2010 solution was this (turning on the Web Client) in combination with disabling indexing on the user's offline files cache in Indexing Options in the Control Panel.

For the Win 7 clients with Office 2003 and WinXP clients, this didn't change much (for WinXP the Web Client was already set to Automatic). However, turning off OFV (Office File Validation) made the trick. This is explained here next to the bottom:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg985445%28office.12%29.aspx

<quote>

To prevent Office File Validation from validating files you must create the following registry key and assign it a value of "0" for the specified application in Office 2003 or Office 2007:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\<11.0 or 12.0>\<application>\Security\FileValidation, where <11.0 or 12.0> represents the version of Office and where <application> represents the specific Office application for which Office File Validation is installed, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

All necessary parameters for configuring the registry key are listed as follows:

Value: EnableOnLoad
Type: REG_DWORD
Default: 2

0 = Don't validate
1 = Validate
2 = Validate unless called via object model

</quote>

For Office 2010 replace the key above (11.0 or 12.0) with 14.0

We do not run Windows 2008 R2 as file server but I guess the issue would be the same.

/gustav