[dba-Tech] best current desktops?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Oct 21 22:03:23 CDT 2011

Multi-core, 6 would be nice (but expensive), 8GB of RAM to start and does
she need a good graphics card as that can save a lot of motherboard CPU
cycles, Intel is still the fastest (and most expensive CPU) and I would
recommend a good ASUS motherboard...so far the best and most reliable.

I have no idea what platform the software package runs on but a true Ubuntu
server package with an Ubuntu desktop is about 3 times as fast as any
Windows OS and much better at running parallel processes.

If you have enough hard drive space you can run both Windows and Linux and
test to see which OS gives the best results.