[dba-Tech] New Windows 8

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Sep 14 07:45:35 CDT 2011

Hi all

The keynote by Steven Sinofsky (president, Windows Division) at BUILD introducing Windows 8 is up. Very nice:

http://www.buildwindows.com/

/gustav

>>> accessd at shaw.ca 14-09-2011 03:35 >>>
The first look of Windows 8 may be a bit of a curiosity.

Actually, it is two products in one or a core with two distros...like Linux,
given say, Lime and Ubuntu, each interface looks completely different but
each has the same kernel. There will be the new default browser/cell phone
type interface and then there will be Windows7.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/13/windows_8_preview/

I think this product is an evolutionary product...One part says desktop PC
and the other says Web based browser. The interface is just a step on the
journey which will lead away from the desktop PC to an internet support
application.

Many articles have been written saying it more bluntly, but this is the
formal acceptance and official agreement, on the part of Microsoft. They
have just acknowledged the truth and that is that the PC, as we know it, is
dead.

So boys and girls if you plan to be working in the computer industry, of the
future get your internet skills ready. Learn about web servers, internet
protocols, distributive databases, HTMLx, CSSx, JavaScript, web based
graphics and cloud based applications (and all the forth-coming
generations).

It is going to be a thrilling ride as we launch off from the PC.