[dba-Tech] Ram Usage

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 14 23:22:43 CDT 2011

Probably.

If you are not planning on doing heavy database work or graphic rendering or
web site hosting or high-end game playing, a lot of the RAM and CPU power
will be wasted. ;-)

The number one bottle neck on any current computer is the hard drive
response. Most new motherboards come with a RAID controller and with a
minimum of 3-4 drive; you can build an array...superior performance. Things
to watch out for are that some motherboards only have the chip sets to
support SATA 2 drives but most new drives are SATA 3. SATA 3 drives have
double the performance of SATA 2.