[dba-Tech] I've forgotten the numbers

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 18 10:18:58 CDT 2011

That is hardware dependant. 16GB sounds like a good max for a desktop box
but for servers type motherboards; I have heard of as much as 128GB. There
is an OS componenet to this of course. Windows7 might have a 16GB limit but
Ubuntu 64 bit server is unlimited (multiple pente-bytes).

Check your computer and see how many RAM slots you have...are they fully
populated? Check the motherboard, online and see what type of RAM is needed.
There is many variations. If you do decide to upgrade, you could just take
one of the sticks with you to the shop for reference.

We have a number of computer shops that sell second hand systems and
components on consignment or straight sales. There is also the Sally-Anne
which has 100s of older systems dumped on them in a day and they will
bargain. I am sure there are dozens of places like that in Toronto.
Depending on what, you should be able to pick up some RAM at 50 percent or
more off.

Then there is eBay...a friend picked up a $2000+ server for around $250.

HTH