[dba-Tech] Router connectivity robustness

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:50:42 CDT 2012

Dear Group,

I've worked with four different routers at home in the past half dozen
years. I wonder if any of you have preferences for routers when it comes to
maintaining a connection.

What I mean is, I have a client for whom I make off-site data backups every
once in a while. I log into his Windows server, ZIP up the critical folders
to make a ZIP file 250MB -350MB in size. Then I use the tsclient capability
of Windows Remote Desktop to just drag the file from his server to a folder
on my system. I've got RoadRunner cable service and it's been very
reliable. The upload from my client's server to my workstation takes maybe
an hour.

My original router, a DLink DI-614+ never gave me any problems with
dropping the connection during the upload from my client's system. A newer
DLink I bought a couple of years ago as a replacement didn't cut it when it
came to those long uploads...so I gave the router away and kept the DI-614+.

Now I've got another new router, a NetGear N600 Dual Band hummer...and it
drops the connection, too.

Anybody experience anything like this? Is there anything I can do about it?

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI