[dba-Tech] Router connectivity robustness

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Apr 2 22:52:25 CDT 2012

Hi Steve,
A bit late to the fire here but I've noticed a lot of stalled downloads
lately and in general poorer high speed performance in the area. AT&T is
installing their Uverse in the area and it is affecting DSL service. It's
essentially the same thing but different equipment but it seems to be beyond
coincidence of the two occurrences.
Charter and RR appear to be, as Jim stated, compressing their traffic to
increase bandwidth but I might add that there has been a lot of discussion
as to whether or not these companies are interrupting data flows in order to
discourage use of video services such as Netflix.
I have, on the other hand had continued success using good old ftp. Since
you have a domain and web site you might look into whether or not you have
an ftp service that accompanies it (all of my domains do). Set it up, use
Filezilla on both ends and Bob's your uncle!

Good luck,
John B