[dba-Tech] The Apple victory

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 26 10:26:32 CDT 2012

Upon some basic investigation into the suit Apple and Samsung filed against
each other and Apple won, it all leaves me wondering.

I first assumed that the case hinged on complex technology that the other
had used and failed to compensate the other for...like one of the companies
had invented Gorilla glass, or the special glue to hold on the glass, or the
diode chip, or miniaturized camera technology, or voice receptors or
miniaturized chips, or a certain type of SD RAM, or their board
configuration or even a certain type of interface or protocol.

To my amazement it was none of these.

Did you know the following "technologies" and I use the word with disbelief,
are patented?

1. A double tap on a screen to expand the screen.
2. Bounce-back if scrolling beyond the screen real-estate.
3. Multiple gestures recognition on the screen.
4. Ornamental design of white or black on cell phone/tablet case.
   (other colors as well)
5. Rounded corners on phone/tablet design.
6. Rounded corners on screen icons.

It is like patenting a handle on a door or a certain height of a chair or
the first Ford being able to patent the paint colour black, on a car.

Then the whole court case was a setup. The courtroom was less than 10 miles
from Apple's headquarters. The jurors were selected from the immediate area.
As far as I can see the whole event could just as well taken place in an
Apple boardroom with the jurors being Apple employees. Rest assured if any
juror had disagreed with the guilty verdict their future, in Silicon Valley,
would have been very limited.

IMHO, the whole trial was a joke, a farce and a setup. Samsung did not have
a song of winning or even breaking even. If I had been the judge in the case
I would have laughed them out of court, fined them both substantially for
wasting the courts time and sent them both on their way.