[dba-Tech] Converting a physical Windows Machine to a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Sat Dec 1 14:41:13 CST 2012

Hi All --

Just wanted to note that I have got found time to finish a physical Win7 Ultimate PC convertion into a Hyper-V VM by using Disk2Vhd v.1.63 and Acronys True Image:

- Disk2VHd converted C: and D: disks where I keep OS and most of development tools;
- Acronys backed-up and restored E: disk where I keep source code, docs etc.

I'm running converted VM under Hyper-V on Win -8 Pro on ASUS N76Vz notebook. VS2010 runnimg within that VM compiles large C# solutions quicker than on DELL Inspiron 9400. MS Access, Word, Excel - start and run also quicker as well as MS SQL 2008R2. I planned to use that Win7 VM till I will get all the projects converted into VS2012 ones, which I wanted to keep running within Win-8 VMs...

... but VMs running under Hyper-V can't still support 1920x1080 screen resolution (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/19f32070-46c7-4dec-8824-9942f7fc5a2c/) so I will probably have to use the main physical notebook to keep all my development :(

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Fri 23 Nov 2012 01:17:47 от Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru>:
>Hi Jim --

That weren't problems, that were challenges :)

I must note system administration and hardware is not what I like and I know how to do well...

Anyway:

- I have finally got two disks (C - 100GB and D - 50GB) of my physical PC - DELL Inspiron 9400 - moved by Disk2Vhd v. 1.63 into one VHD on the new notebook ASUS N76Vz. The move/conversion took almost three hours as I used rather slow network connection (still to upgrade my 10 years old router/WAP) between old and new PCs. The old PC has two other disks - E: (50GB) and F: (100GB) which I left out of conversion;

- I have then created a Win7 VM under Hyper-V Manager running on Win8 Prof, added converted VHD and created two "placeholder" SCSI disks E: and F:

- I have then run my converted Win7 WM under Hyper-V running within Win8 Prof - and it worked! I'm really surprised and a bit excited I must note. If there will be no any issues/hardcore challenges found in the coming days then I'd be even more surprised: that Hyper-V and Disk2VHD v.21.63 conversion tool are really masterpiece technologies ! To backup/restore the other two disks (E: and F:) real data I will use Acronis, which I'm using on regular basis to make backups). As I have noted I created two "placeholder" disks for the sources E: and F: ones, which weren't moved but it looks like conversion utility - Disk2Vhd v.1.63 - creates such placeholders automatically (still to check)...

The current challenge is to enabled/activate network connections for my VMs - do you know good sources describing how to do that enabling/activation for Hyper-V VMs?

Thank you.

- Shamil