[dba-Tech] Leveraging your .Net skills in uncertain times

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Dec 11 01:28:27 CST 2012

> In these uncertain times, of post Microsoft Empire, where no one can say for sure, "What's next?", it is always best to keep your options open.

I don't know if going the Mono route is the best move in our post-Microsoft days. I have nothing against C# and I certainly like it a lot better than Java, but Microsoft has certain patents, that could jeopardize the Mono project should Microsoft ever decide to. Currently, Microsoft only "promises" that they won't assert their patents, but a promise is meaningless and I can certainly see Microsoft doing a 180 if any of their main competitors decided to use or contribute to Mono in any significant way.

> Regardless of what you personally think of Microsoft, this product is the real thing and is supported, to a large degree by Microsoft,

Is Mono supported by Microsoft? I didn't know this.

- Hans