[dba-Tech] Samba 4.0 released - Open Source File and Active Directory server

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Dec 11 14:04:37 CST 2012

Samba 4.0 is officially released now and boasts some great new features, such as being able to be an Active Directory domain controller.

http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html

"Samba 4.0 supports the server-side of the Active Directory logon environment used by Windows 2000 and later, so we can do full domain join and domain logon operations with these clients.
Our Domain Controller (DC) implementation includes our own built-in LDAP server and Kerberos Key Distribution Center (KDC) as well as the Samba3-like logon services provided over CIFS."

This is especially good for any of you who have a tight budget and don't want to pay thousands of dollars to Microsoft. It's free & open source and, of course, runs on the best, most stable operating systems out there (Linux and FreeBSD). You also have the added advantage of having a fully flexible, scriptable and truly interoperable AD solution.

- Hans