[dba-Tech] Internet Explorer Data Leakage (versions 6 to 10)

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Mon Dec 17 06:04:04 CST 2012

 Hi Hans --

<<<
The original discussion was about a serious leakage flaw in Internet Explorer and Jim asked if it was possible to run other browsers on Windows 8 and this is how we eventually got to this point in our discussion.

Yes, so let's have now the subject line changed to stay on new topic of WOA/WintRT "walled garden" approach?

<<<
I will, however, some times poke fun at those people who had previously criticized Apple's walled garden, but now praise Microsoft when they are doing the exact same thing.

Yes!  - please notice I didn't criticize Apple's "walled garden" approach, did I?  If I did and I'm missing that my past Apple's criticism now please point me on it.

<<<
 You can embed IE's Trident engine into your browser, but you are essentially just putting a wolf in sheep's clothing. At the end of your day, your "browser" is pretty much a stripped down IE but with your own UI layout and features.

But you can use MS Trident Engine to just have JavaScript compiled and executed as speedy as IE does use it, can't you?
And for the rest - rendering HTML(5)/CSS etc. - you can use DirectX working as close as possible to the "bare metal"?
Or JavaScript compilation and execution part of Trident Engine is so closely coupled with HTML(5)/CSS rendering functionality/components that it can't be "decoupled" and used as FireFox for WOA component?
Or Trident Engine doesn't allow to "hook" executing within itself JavaScript code modifying HTML/CSS to have third-party HTML rendering engine to implement their own HTML/CSS rendering more effectively than IE does do it?

<<<
 They've spent a lot of time and effort building a browser engine that they believe is better than IE and then they are forced to scrap all that and make do with IE's Trident engine.

But WOA is a new hardware platform - does MS have any obligations to keep compatibility of any third-party applications for every new hardware platform they (MS) will port MS Windows or IE? Yes, I know MS didn't do well with compatibility even of their own development tools/languages - VB6 being one of the most well-known examples. But WOA is a "different story" in my opinion. I can be wrong. Please feel free to "poke some fun" on my reasoning :)

Thank you.

-- Shamil