[dba-Tech] WOA/WinRT "walled garden". Was: Re[2]: Internet Explorer Data Leakage (versions 6 to 10)

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Tue Dec 18 01:03:20 CST 2012

 Hi Hans --

Thank you for your replies.
Please note I have changed the subject line.
Please also note that dba-Tech is limiting my messages' total length to 20KB so I can't quote your replies' full text.
This promise to be an endless thread so let's try to wrap it out now?
Let me say that:

1) I suppose that what we're expressing here are our opinions, our interpretations of facts and AFAIS that our interpretations do differ significantly. That's OK.
2) I suppose MS representatives has clearly stated what were the technical reasons to build a "walled garden" around WOA/WinRT core/system API -  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/09/building-windows-for-the-arm-processor-architecture.aspx
3) If MS will now allow to "get through the walled garden" to some selected third-party companies then the other ones will definitely complain, and the whole idea/concept of the "walled garden" will get corrupted together with WOA/WinRT platform. MS can't get "walled garden" weakened now but they can let such a "weakening" to happen in the (near) future when they will have more information and experience on handling "walled garden pain points".
4) There are no any clear facts to look for a "conspiracy theory" reasons behind the WOA/WinRT "walled garden" and EU antitrust regulators indirectly pointed on that by "letting Microsoft to limit browsers on Windows RT":  http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9232884/EU_antitrust_regulators_let_Microsoft_limit_browsers_on_Windows_RT
5) FireFox developers complaints ( http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2012/05/why-windows-classic-.html ) are about APIs while actually the only(?) feature they have closed access to is (JavaScript) run-time compilationh and execution from within FireFox WOA/WinRT browser they wanted to develop/port to WOA/WinRT: equivalent feature is available on WOA/WinRT for third-party developers via MS Trident Engine in a "walled garden" mode but working as speedy as it would work if implemented in system mode.
6) Any talks on "monopolization of tablets browsers market" are irrelevant nowadays as Microsoft WOA/WinRT is hardly taking a few percents of the whole market share of tablets.
7) It may well happen that the "walled garden barrier" common for all the modern tablet operating systems will get advanced implementation in the (near) future WOA/WinRT releases to let third-party's components to work in a (limited) system mode where run-time code compilation and execution will be allowed.

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Понедельник, 17 декабря 2012, 15:51  от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

>> Yes, so let's have now the subject line changed to stay on new topic of WOA/WintRT "walled garden" approach?
>
>Sure, if that's what you would prefer.
<<< skipped >>>