[dba-Tech] NoSQL is a movement not so much a choice or a technology

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 10 17:15:03 CST 2012

Actually I think you have it right...cheap.

Many fledgling businesses would not exist if it was not for NoSQL DBs.
(Google, Amazon, Facebook come mind.) All the companies started out a garage
or dorm business and have grown into the super companies they now are today.
The only reason they could have started was because of cheap and free Open
Source software with particular emphasis on NoSQL DBs.

RDBMS industry standard databases are some of the most expensive pieces of
software in the market today. A small company should plan on spending 60K
just to get their foot in the door and that is just the entrance fee.

I worked under contract as Systems Analysis for a government office for a
while. One of the chief responsibilities was to create a piece of software
that could mange all the division's contracts. When the software was
running, the client could view the initial contracts, all correspondence,
emails, the support teams, the budgets, the invoices etc. It all ran from a
MS Access and VB application.

But then we ran into problems. The management requested a way be able to
scan a group of contracts for specific information and wording. I was
stuck...a thousand of more lines of code may have been able to assemble
something close to what was required but that was not enough. A group of the
senior systems guys from local Oracle companies were called in (The local
government does not use MS SQL) to see if they could come up with an
answer...they could not. Finally, a little fringe company produced a Oracle
plug-in that could scan the mixed data. The software was something out of a
European lab. That was the first time I ever saw a NoSQL piece of software;
of course I and everyone else had no idea what we were looking at.

Like RDBMS, NoSQL databases have their pluses and minuses. Nothing is a
perfect answer. If all you will ever be working with is Mom and Pop type
businesses don't bother looking any further, stick with standard relational
data bases. If OTOH, you will be working with a growing web business or a
business saving TBs of documents start looking at a mixed solution.