[dba-Tech] VPN on a virtual Windows 2008 server...and RemoteDesktop

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:08:47 CST 2012

Steve,

1. I'm 64, young 'un!
2. Should you feel like trying Linux again, try either Linux or Mint. Run
either as a VM in Oracle VirtualBox and the whole setup is free, and you
can trash it anytime.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Steve Erbach <erbachs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> [??] Hey! I'm 59 years old!  You know, old dog, and all that?
>
> I've toyed with Linux over the years, beginning with installing Red Hat in
> a dual boot situation on an old Windows 95 laptop (2 GB hard disk)...but I
> never got comfortable with the environment. For good or ill, I'm a
> Microsoft weiner now.
>
> Steve Erbach
> Neenah, WI
>
> Stuart...

> > MySQL is trivial to learn if you are familiar with SQL Server and it
> > doesn't take much for a
> > competent programmer to get up to speed with PHP.
> >
> > --
> > Stuart

Perhaps for you MySQL was trivial, but as for me, even with 20 years'
experience programming databases, I found MySQL a steep climb. Mind you, I
was writing a book about it, and had to learn its workings on Windows, Mac,
Linux and Solaris, pretty much all at once. But even that aside, there are
so many switches and settings and so on that mastery takes a *long* while,
whereas MS hides most of that and "just runs" -- that's a long way from
"runs optimally", and if that's the goal, then MS SQL is a pretty steep
climb too.

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr