[dba-Tech] New Windows 8 and Linux

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:04:47 CST 2012

As the old saying goes, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you
don't have enemies."

Or, in the words of radical psychiatrist R.D. Lang, "We have a word for the
condition of believing you have enemies when you don't -- paranoia. But we
don't have a word for believing you don't have enemies when in fact you do."

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> I agree Arthur... This is all well and good for us as we will unlikely be
> stopped by such nonsense as hardwired boot chips but for the average user
> this will be a show stopper.
>
> The Linux community may very likely be forced to come up with a way to
> allow
> just a normal user to easily install or dual boot their OS. Now whether
> that
> process will disable their existing Windows 8 or, at that time, be illegal
> backed by a number of penalties encapsulated in some future "anti-piracy"
> bill is yet to be seen.
>
> Maybe I am over reacting on this but the whole concept of enforcing
> world-wide internet control under the ruse of "anti-piracy" and secure is a
> very troubling trend. The purveyors of these series of regulations will
> never quit and if the Whitehouse had not received almost 100 million emails
> saying stop this...today we might be facing a very different paradigm.
>
> Jim
> --

Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr