[dba-Tech] New Windows 8

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Jan 20 10:27:28 CST 2012

Hi all

This is interesting. From sleep mode this boots in 5 seconds on my 4 year old AMD64 Lenovo and that includes the connection to our AD.

Should you decide to check out the Developer Preview, you will wonder how to close the applications opened via Metro.

You don't; Windows decides for itself when it is necessary to close an app you don't use. If you find this too lazy, press Ctrl+Alt+Del and open the completely redesigned Task Manager and shut Down the app.

Another completely redesigned tool is the calculator. At first sight it looks harmless as previously, but go to the options and a monster calculator is revealed.

/Gustav