[dba-Tech] MS launch of Surface range

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 20 10:59:19 CDT 2012

I think Microsoft will be well advised to stop trying to make one OS all
things to all people.

It is time their OS was split up, Win8 for tablets, subversion of Win8 for
SmartPhones, Basic GUI for their server/cloud-server and other commercial
systems and finally a pretty GUI for their PC development, business use and
game playing systems.

I do think the public is going to do just that, pick their OS, whether MS
wishes it or not. Right now there are some excellent, user friendly versions
of Linux just waiting for Microsoft to either drop or abandon their PC
support.

It has now been almost three months since I converted half of a client's PCs
to Ubuntu 12.04 and there is hardly been a problem. On site, one bright
young lady has taken over the Linux support and she loves it. I think all it
will take is a few similar sites, Microsoft leaving behind their PC base,
the fading of the fear of Linux distros and if the tide turns...