[dba-Tech] MemSQL Claims to be Fastest Database on the Planet - 80, 000 queries per second

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:28:30 CDT 2012

In The Google Story, it said that the whole design was to use thousands of
off-the-rack boxes and never repair any of them, just swap them out
whenever anything broke. So I conclude that there was no necessity to buy
server-class machines, but rather lots and lots of consumer boxes, and to
regard them as no more important than disposable razors.

Which is not of course to say that serious boxes would be wasted. Obviously
not. But even buying current boxes one at a time, retail, 8 gigs of RAM and
4 cores are not much money, especially when you don't need a keyboard or
monitor or mouse or dvd burner etc. Imagine what the price is when you buy
in hundred-lots or thousand-lots.

A.