[dba-Tech] Old programmers

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 27 13:35:16 CDT 2012

I saw this article and decided to post it in it entirety. As an mature
programmer I made similar decisions many years ago and understand where this
youngster is coming from:

" Old Farts Know How to Code

I turned 45 this month. In many professions that's the prime age to be - and
in others it's considered young -  but in my line of work, some people think
middle-aged coders are old farts. That's especially true when it comes to
startups.

The startup culture is similar to professional sports in that it requires a
fleet of fresh-out-of-college kids to trade their lives and their health for
the potential of short-term glory.

"Old farts" are often excluded from that culture, not because we're lousy
coders but because we won't put up with that shit. We have lives, we have
families, we have other things that are important to us. We're not about to
sleep at our desks and trade watching our kids grow up for the promise of
striking it rich. Especially when the people who really strike it rich
aren't the ones writing code.

So many developers my age have had plenty of chances to ditch coding and
move into management, but we've stuck with coding because it's what we love
to do. We'd earn more in management, but writing software is in our blood.
We wouldn't stop doing it for anything.

And because of the years we've spent creating software, we've learned what
works and what doesn't, regardless of the language or the platform.
Operating systems rise and fall, development tools come and go, but through
it all, old farts know how to write solid code. "