[dba-Tech] More on Windows 8 promises...

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Sun May 27 17:29:48 CDT 2012

Not only that, but Dreamspark is only available to college/university students and seems to require an acknowledged email address, such as .edu or .ac.uk. If that's the case, this may provide difficult for a foreign student or a student of an un-accredited school. Further more, this completely excludes younger students, open source developers and anyone wanting to learn to program or develop software independently.

This will force an incentive to distribute software at a cost and be a prohibitive barrier of entry. The big idea, as far as Microsoft is concerned, is to force (sorry, incentivise) these "second class developers" into making Metro apps, because Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do against iOS and Android. But in my opinion, it will only serve to push them to other platforms, like Linux, Android and Apple. There is already a trend of moving away from Windows development, so this may simply accelerate this change.

The carrot and a hammer approach tends not to work very well.

Best regards,
Hans-Christian Andersen