[dba-Tech] Windows 7 recovery console

Tydda Jon - Slough jon.tydda at lonza.com
Tue May 29 05:59:56 CDT 2012

Hi all

We're experiencing problems with our Win 7 desktops. Sometimes, the computer does not start properly, and brings up the recovery console. When this happens, users are given the option of "Recover" or "Restore".

When they choose restore, the computer picks the last available restore point. The problem with that is that Group Policy disables the creation of new restore points, so these computers are restored to the very first one, which is part way through the initial build process - Windows has been installed, but with no software, and it has not yet joined the domain.

When this happens, all we can do is re-image the computer.

This doesn't take long, but it's happening with alarming frequency - every time we have power issues, or if someone didn't shut down properly. Two weeks ago we had a power cut in one building and had to rebuild 12 desktops that morning.

Does anyone know if there is there any way that we can disable the recovery console, or to create a restore point after the build has completed, so that if this does happen again, at least it will be restored to a point after the computer was installed and on the domain?

I did find a script that creates a manual restore point, but when I run it, it tells me that "Group Policy prevents this script from running". I did originally think that finding a technological solution would be easier than educating the users, but it seems that I may have been wrong about that... :)

Jon

This communication and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged information the use of which by other persons or entities than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your system.