[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] The Cloud

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu May 31 20:49:59 CDT 2012

I've been using Amazons web services for a bit recently and found that it is quite good, mature and I am impressed in general. The security is fairly comprehensive and fine grain (almost too much IMO) and you have the option of using encrypted drives for data security.

If you are dealing with top secret data and services (ie. govt military contracts), then it might not be forge right solution, but for your ordinary business, it's quite sufficient and gives you a lot of options to keep costs low, while being able to scale up according to need.

I wouldn't discard it completely, especially since running your own IT infrastructure is complicated, relatively expensive and can break in so many ways. Meanwhile, you get the support of a hi-tech company with very smart engineers, who are monitoring things at all times.

This is what progress looks like, otherwise we'd all still be writing in assembler.

- Hans

Sent from my iPhone