[dba-Tech] i7 Ivy Bridge, 4 cores, 8-16GB RAM etc.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Nov 15 01:09:25 CST 2012

Hi All --

When using subj system: i7 Ivy Bridge, 4 Cores, 8-16GB RAM etc., what would be the most optimal way to configures such a system box?

I'm going to keep original installed by manufacturer system as virgin as possible and to use VMs (VMWare Workstation 9(?))  for my everyday development work:

- one VM for every customer apps development (I do not have that much customers);
- one VM for the Internet browsing, documentation/books reading;
- one VM for MS SQL server and databases;
- ...

The subj system has 8GB installed would that be good enough? (not sure yet the subj RAM can be extended to 16GB - ASUS support told me it can't, but PC shops tell it can - I'm going to test that issue directly in the shop in the coming days...)

The subj system could also support up to four(?) displays so in theory I can have every VM assigned a dedicated display...

The subj system can have two HDD so there should be plenty of space to keep VMs images, and if the subj system box supports 16GB then currently used VMs (3-4) should completely fit RAM I expect....

Please advise on such a system configuration strategy based on your experience - I have never used such a system box before.

Thank you.

-- Shamil