[dba-Tech] Converting a physical Windows Machine to a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Nov 22 08:23:26 CST 2012

Hi All --

I have just tried to run Disk2VHD to convert 300GB HDD driven Physical PC into a VM (I wanted to keep it temporarily on my new system while getting it tuned) - the target was a USB disk with 530GB of free space but Disk2VHD worked for a whuile and then reported that there is not enough space to make VHD :(

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Thu 22 Nov 2012 17:26:23 от Salakhetdinov Shamil <mcp2004 at mail.ru>:

>Hi All --

I wanted to convert Win7 Ultimate physical PC to a Hyper-V one. I have previously planned to make VMWare VM from that physical Pc but it happened VMWare workstation doesn't setup under Win8 Pro with Hyper-V enabled. And I'd like to not keep Hyper-V feature enabled/disabled as I have to run Win8 Phone emulator, which needs active Hyper-V...

So I Googled for "migrating windows 7 to hyper-v" and I have got this article:

Converting a physical Windows Machine to a Hyper-V Virtual Machine P2V Problem

>http://www.interactivewebs.com/blog/index.php/server-tips/converting-a-physical-windows-machine-to-a-hyper-v-virtual-machine-p2v-problem/

which didn't sound very optimistic.

Then  I have read this one:

Moving physical windows 7 to Hyper - V on windows 2008 r2

>http://serverfault.com/questions/150640/moving-physical-windows-7-to-hyper-v-on-windows-2008-r2

which sounded optimistic. So I'm going to try now Disk2VHD: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Did anybody here used Disk2VHD tool to make sucessfull conversion of Win7 (Ultimate) PC to a Hyper-V VM?

Thank you.

-- Shamil