[dba-Tech] Converting a physical Windows Machine to a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Nov 22 15:17:47 CST 2012

Hi Jim --

That weren't problems, that were challenges :)
I must note system administration and hardware is not what I like and I know how to do well...

Anyway:

- I have finally got two disks (C - 100GB and D - 50GB) of my physical PC - DELL Inspiron 9400 - moved by Disk2Vhd v. 1.63 into one VHD on the new notebook ASUS N76Vz. The move/conversion took almost three hours as I used rather slow network connection (still to upgrade my 10 years old router/WAP) between old and new PCs. The old PC has two other disks - E: (50GB) and F: (100GB) which I left out of conversion;

- I have then created a Win7 VM under Hyper-V Manager running on Win8 Prof, added converted VHD and created two "placeholder" SCSI disks E: and F:

- I have then run my converted Win7 WM under Hyper-V running within Win8 Prof - and it worked! I'm really surprised and a bit excited I must note. If there will be no any issues/hardcore challenges found in the coming days then I'd be even more surprised: that Hyper-V and Disk2VHD v.21.63 conversion tool are really masterpiece technologies ! To backup/restore the other two disks (E: and F:) real data I will use Acronis, which I'm using on regular basis to make backups). As I have noted I created two "placeholder" disks for the sources E: and F: ones, which weren't moved but it looks like conversion utility - Disk2Vhd v.1.63 - creates such placeholders automatically (still to check)...

The current challenge is to enabled/activate network connections for my VMs - do you know good sources describing how to do that enabling/activation for Hyper-V VMs?

Thank you.

- Shamil

P.S. BTW, while conversion was in progress I went to cinema to watch "Skyfall" :) (I like the song from that movie, I can't say I liked the movie itself, it was rather dynamic action movie in the beginning but then it went too stupid and not as dynamic as I wanted it to be. I waited for the song to be repeated in the end of the movie (if you didn't see the movie - they put the song in the beginning) but they didn't repeat the song. Pity.
And in the same time as conversion was in progress my son played MineCraft on my new PC - so everybody and everything were busy/getting entertained this late evening here :)

Thu 22 Nov 2012 09:55:10 от "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca>:

>Sorry to hear of your problems.

We are all hoping you get a solution as it will then decide which OS will be

the base and which the virtual drive or will it be that Win8 just has to run

on its own separate computer with only compatible applications installed?