[dba-Tech] Google Search Feature: Calculations and Conversions

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:33:53 CDT 2012

Wow! I had no idea. There's a built-in calculator and conversion calculator
right in the search bar (of Chrome, at least, but anyway it's the best
browser). You can for example enter any of these directly in the search bar:

4 mph in kph
2 tsp in ml
40 acres in hectares
1 bushel in quarts
20 tablespoons in cups
12% of 124
20000 leagues in miles
.01 inch in Angstroms
1 imperial gallon in us gallon
1 imperial gallon in li

And you don't even have to press Enter, The answer appears instantly! In
the last case, I didn't even get the chance to spell "liters" or "litres".
Both appeared in the dropdown instantly, along with the answer below that.

So I decided to try "1 US dollar to Canadian" and I got no further than "1
US" before the answer appeared. That could be because Google knows where I
live (or at least am logged on from)

So I decided to push the envelope and enter "1000 1930 dollars to 2012
dollars". This time there was no instant conversion, but there did appear
several places to look, which I won't bother listing. Try it yourself if
you're interested.

This feature wouldn't be complete without an Easter egg. Try this:

the number of horns on a unicorn + the loneliest number

You don't even have to press Enter!

Who knew?

--
Arthur