[dba-Tech] Foreign phone number

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Oct 11 17:40:07 CDT 2012

+ is the international convention for "country code".  It can stand for a multitude of different
numbers - even on the same phone.

Every country uses a different scheme for actually dialling an internation number.  You may
use 00, but in PNG, it is  05, in Australia it is 0001.

Every entry in my phone's contact list starts with a +.

A PNG  number would by +675 XXX XXXX
An Australian number would be +61 XXXX XXXX

By using the internatrional convention, it doesn't matter whether I an in PNG or Australia, nor
whether I have my PNG or Australian SIM card inserted in the phone.    Without it, I would
need to use different phone book entries for every  country I may be  dialling from.

>  It only can dial numbers

and * and # which also have assigned DTMF codes and are generally on a phone's keypad.

(Actually, A,B,C and D also have assigned DTMF codes, but you will probably never see a
phone with keys for these characters)

--
Stuart