[dba-Tech] Problems installing Apache2

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 25 13:23:57 CDT 2012

Hi Author:

I have not used Apache in a windows environment but I would suspect your
problem would be if you have an application like IIS, Webmatrix or DNN on
the same machine monitoring/managing the same port...port 80. Microsoft's
products all assume complete access and control of port 80. They do not
really need the port, all the time and they do not like to share. I just use
something like Filezilla, through port 22 or as a server through any other
port (better security).

A quick check through telnet might be all you need to do to confirm:
' telnet 127.0.0.1 80 ' and enter 'get' or do a port usage dump via your
command prompt ' netstat -ao '

That means you will either have to change the monitoring port number for
your Apache or, I just read this; turn off one of the services, stop it and
set it to manual. The service is ' Web Deployment Agent Service '

HTH
Jim

PS Just ran across this link and it appears the fellow explains it better
than I do: http://www.sitepoint.com/unblock-port-80-on-windows-run-apache/