[dba-Tech] Home Network Setup

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 13:37:21 CDT 2013

1)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup>

2) You probably would need to set up some SHARES on each system of the
folders you want to be visible on the other system. Then once you have the
shares you might want to reboot both systems and then try to map a drive on
the other system.

3) If the printer does wireless, perhaps it also would do WIRED NETWORK
connection and so could be plugged directly into a wired router port. That
might save you from having to jump through some wireless setup on the
printer. My printer at home is connected to my router in this manner with a
fixed IP address so it doesn't get renumbered when the router gets rebooted
and so is easier to find by the client systems. I like this setup better
than sharing the printer connected to a computer because the printer is
available without the client machine being up and running. Only the network
need be up and any of my systems can use the printer. On my printer I just
connect it to the router via ethernet cable. Then I turn it on. Then I
print out the "Network Information" page from the printer which has the IP
address the router assigned it. Then if I want to hard assign a specific IP
address I search the internet for my particular printer manufacturer and
model number and find the documentation on setting a IP address on my
specific printer (an HP Photosmart 8450 ) and follow those instructions for
setting that IP address which I essentially used the one the router
assigned and just changed the last part to be .199 so as to be up higher
than the router will normally assign on it's own.   Then go to the client
PC's and set up a printer and tell it's a LOCAL printer but instead of
connecting to LPT or USB port, you connect it to an IP ADDRESS for which
you may have to assign a PORT which can be the same name as the IP address.
You'll see what I mean when you get there.