[dba-Tech] Home Network Setup

John R Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Wed Aug 28 17:49:51 CDT 2013

I work with windows workgroup networks all the time and never have issues
with them being slow. You have to enable network file and printer sharing on
Windows 7 and then it works quite well. Most people seem to choose "Public"
when they connect a Windows Vista/7 PC to a network and that's not the thing
to do in your home or office, where you should choose "Home" or "Work".

Windows 8 seems to be set to automatically do public but then prompts you to
switch to home or work when the situation deems it appropriate. So far I've
been impressed with Windows 8 workgroup networking. I've been setting up
college newbies laptops for the last couple of weeks and they find my
network LaserJet and utilize it without me getting involved at all.
Yesterday I was setting up a new laptop for a new minister in one the small
church offices I support. The Sharp did not have windows 8 drivers listed on
their site for the large, maybe 5-6 year old network copier/printer. I
thought I'd try Frankensteining it and in the process the initial wizard
asked if I wanted to let it search Windows Update for more printers and
devices. I did and it downloaded a whole slew of them. I looked through the
list and sure enough, there it was. Worked like a charm.