[dba-Tech] Windows 8 tips (was: Home Network Setup)

John R Bartow jbartow at winhaven.net
Wed Aug 28 23:47:06 CDT 2013

I have taken to Windows 8 fairly well. I still find it disconcerting when
using an app that essentially dumps me back into the Windows 7 type mode.
But I'm starting to like it more and more. Once Win8.1 is released and I run
it I may go ahead with the whole Windows 8 PC/Tablet/Phone scheme idea. My
Android phone seems to be getting worse rather than better and I just really
am not digging the iPad.

By using the same shortcuts keys, the command window and shortcut (right
click) menus I get around pretty good. I find the Windows Key-combos very
helpful with Windows+C being the charm bar shortcut which I use all the time
now. The ability to just start typing when on the Start Screen and having it
start search (which works well) is a nice addition.

TeamViewer has a completely new command bar dropdown for windows 8 (with the
Windows 8 icon as an indicator) which shows all active apps, allows you to
switch between them and such. Otherwise the Start Screen is hard to navigate
as the mouse doesn't always seem to scroll it well.

Anyone else have helpful hints with Windows 8?