[dba-Tech] What I hate about Linux

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 10 22:37:19 CST 2013

Hi Arthur:

Let's be honest Arthur...our parents or grandparents couldn't even run Windows.

Most people, our age, outside of the IT crowd, had to have their computers initially setup for them and if any software went sideways that is when I got a call. All people my age have been working with Windows computers for going on twenty years and if they are still having difficulties with simple tasks, it just goes to show Darwin was right.

As for your problem with Linux, you should probably be using Ubuntu 13.x.

First: The user, if he/she is a first timer should not be using the Administrator username. This means that all applications installed will be installed to the client's home directory. This means any files can be easily added and removed. (The only thing that might confuse a beginner is that some directories and files are hidden...for good reason. See below for solution.)

Second: The home directories are automatically or with a couple of simple replies to prompts, setup a continuous, in the background backup/synchronization to your Ubuntu One Cloud. Setting up full backups are equally brain-dead simple. There is a backup application named "backup" that, at assigned intervals or immediately, backup the contents of any directory or the whole computer for that matter to an attached backup storage, through a USB connection, network cable or even across the net. The backups are serialized so that a recovery can be made from various dated backups or from individual files. It is all one click and select to recovery from either backup.

Third: Installing or removing a piece of software is super simple. Just click on the Ubuntu Software Centre button, enter "MySQL", or you can page to it and it will show you the product, to install or uninstall and ask whether you wish to install or remove it.

Notes:
Once a piece of software is installed, at regular intervals (default or selected), the Software Updater, from the Software Centre will keep your product current.

What basic user will be installing and running MySQL? It is on the level (maybe more) with MS SQL. With three database engines and a capability of handling millions of pieces of data (it use to run Facebook), it is hardly a beginner's product.

A user can unhide a directory(ies) by just right-mouse-clicking, at the place of the file of directory and then select hide or unhide from the popdown menu. Same thing as Windows just not as difficult for a first time user to find.

Normally, a program running is added to the launcher side bar. If the application is to be used continuously then just be right-mouse-clicking, the application icon can lock it to the bar. For more fancy floating program icons, click the Ubuntu Software Centre, enter an app name "Create Launcher" and press install. From then on you can dump icons attached to programs anywhere you want.

As you have notice no where did it require the use of the terminal or command prompt. A year or so ago I installed half a network in Ubuntu Linux. I have not heard from them in six months and the staff is quite happy with their new stations. Everything they needed for their job just works. There is a young lady there, in her early thirties and she never had used Linux before I showed up. Now she has the whole networked tricked up and probably knows more than I do.