[dba-Tech] GitHub is not just for Linux anymore

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Wed Dec 25 04:13:27 CST 2013

 Hi Gustav --

Yes, GitHub Pages is very interesting application of GitHub. I didn't know about it. Thank you.

As for MS Windows Git(Hub) client - I'm using GitExt ( https://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/ ). It was recommended to me by experienced Git(Hub) users: about a month ago I have got an opportunity to participate in an open source project kept on GitHub and I have learned quite a few on Git "tricks". IMO Git definitely beats all existing source code/version control development tools. Historically I'm still using Mercurial but I do plan to switch to Git in short period of time. I now know from my own practice what branch(ing), checkout, rebase, PR etc. means on Git jargon and how powerful and supportive these Git Features could be for an experienced dev(s team).

I have also created an account on  https://www.atlassian.com/  and I have got subscribed to JIRA Agile ( https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira ) and I have got my current customer project's issues/features managed via JIRA Agile: I have just done with it last night. I liked it, still I'd make it somehow more straightforward, as I'm still feeling a bit "lost" in a such powerful project issues/features/bugs management tool's menus and screens. Well, I must note I didn't use almost any tutorials before I started to use it.

And AFAIU there is a way to "bind" Git(Hub) and Atlassian JIRA and their (Atlassian's) continuous integration tool (Bamboo?...) and their specs/project discussion board tool (Confluence?)... to create a rather high level software development/testing and deployment automation environment, which should be affordable and non-distracting even for "one-man" software dev shops. Actually if such a dev environment can be created it would be rather easy to get parts of project delegated to other devs as with using Git branching there will be zero chances that subcontracted devs could somehow introduce bugs in the main code base...

FYI: here is the list of Atlassian dev tools some of which I have mentioned above:  https://www.atlassian.com/purchase/

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:24 PM +01:00 from "Gustav Brock" <Gustav at cactus.dk>:
>Hi all
>
>If you are using Windows and the Windows client, this page will get you started:
>
>http://pages.github.com/
>
>Select at What git client are you using?: GitHub for Windows
>
>/gustav

>Hi all
>
>I didn't know about GitHub Pages:
>
>http://24ways.org/2013/get-started-with-github-pages/