[dba-Tech] Relational v NoSQL

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Feb 7 02:11:43 CST 2013

Hi Stuart

Thanks. The examples may not be perfect - as the comments also indicate -
but it reminded me, that for a project years ago on archiving e-mails I had
the idea that these could be split into their parts (to, from, headers,
body, attachments, etc.) to be stored in a well-defined relational table
structure for later searching and retrieval - throwing away the "picture" as
mentioned in the article. But I soon realized that for many e-mails it would
be impossible to assemble them to their original state, indeed if they were
encrypted. Thus, you have to store the original e-mail and, if possible,
extract some key values like addresses for faster searching.

/gustav