[dba-Tech] Relational v NoSQL

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 8 15:32:11 CST 2013

On 2013-02-08 2:41 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
> Hi Peter:
>
> This is such a big subject so it is hard to limit the discussion to a few
> short sentences so my apologies.
>
> Whether Oracle can change what was basically an OSS product into a
> pay-as-you-go product is debatable. They have already lost OpenOffice to
> Apache and Libra Office and whether they will be any more successful with
> MySQL is a question. IMHO, Oracle's dream of assuming that most of the old
> MYSQL database user will accept Oracle's embrace is just that, a dream. (I
> know of one local hosting company that still offers MySQL, as one of the
> options but their product is really MariaDB.)
>
> "...So far, Oracle has MariaDB developers running as fast as they can just
> to avoid falling further behind..."
>
> There is no race to add new features and that is hardly something that will
> predetermine whether a user go one way or the other. The truth is that
> community based OSS products, that are very useful, have no trouble
> attracting the very best and brightest developers, from the business world,
> from the universities and from everywhere in the world. This always results
> in the most innovation and this is why most major computer companies (case
> in point; Microsoft) support OSS products. They need the innovation to
> improve and advertise their own products.
>
> The difference is that any Oracle changes and improvements cost the
> buyer/user directly and any OSS changes will not. I wonder how many techs
> and ISPs will be willing to pay for each extra features considering the
> improvements will be built in totally proprietary code? Why not just buy
> Oracle and have done with it?
>
> The market segment that was attracted to the MySQL OSS is a totally
> different market from the companies that are attracted to Oracle... but not
> any more.
>
> Take the case of the little startup of FaceBook. They first used MySQL
> because of the price and when they grew they developed and shared many
> add-ons that allowed MySQL to work in a distributive environment. They also
> made many improvements and fixes to MySQL which they shared back into the
> product community to the benefit of many other startups and smaller users.
> As the product was OSS, hundreds of other small and growing companies
> continued to improve the database application... but not any more.
>
> (FaceBook, of course will no longer make improvements on MySQL and they have
> also moved towards other OSS NoSQL products.)
>
> We shall see if the two concepts of commercial and community development can
> find a collaborative position...given Oracle's past record. What is your
> bet?

Oracle is a profit predator. I agree with much of what you say. Their
model is cathedral not bazaar, but they are making improvements to the
community edition, and those are the changes that Monty is having ti run
to keep up with in MariaDB.

Fedora & OpenSuse are considering switching to MariaDB. Other *Nix
vensors not so much. UNtil that reaches a critical mass, I do not think
hosting providers will rush to support MariaDB. Until they do, I think
mariaDB remains a small market.,

PB