[dba-Tech] FYI: Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro Sells Out At MSOnline Store Just Hours After Launch

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 13 22:06:10 CST 2013

Hi Hans:

The Zen of programming. ;-)

From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Hans-Christian
Andersen
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:08 PM
To: Discussion of Hardware and Software issues
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] FYI: Microsoft's 128GB Surface Pro Sells Out At
MSOnline Store Just Hours After Launch

Hi Jim

Looks like you and I are on the same page here. :)

I'd also like to add to your comment about "right tool for the job". These
days, as you say, there are an overwhelming amount of tools that can be used
to the same result. Where I see real competition between languages and
frameworks these days is in ideas, style and convention.

Adopting a language/framework is less about if its "the right tool for the
job" and more about whether you like the characteristics and philosophies of
the language/framework.

Case in point: the Ruby on Rails phenomenon. Love it or not, there are a lot
of good ideas and a lot of those ideas are being adopted by other
languages/frameworks. Rails was a real push to change our way of looking at
programming like it is a blank slate and you are handed a box of random
tools, which includes a gun to shoot yourself in the foot with, as typically
happens in a lot of software projects. Rails knows what it wants to be, but
not only that but it also wants you to understand its philosophies and steer
you in a certain direction. It's called convention over configuration and,
like I said, a lot of other languages/frameworks are adopting these ideas,
so it's not even Rails specific now - ie. look at Java Play.

So, its not necessarily what is the right tool for the job anymore but what
is the right philosophy and approach as well.

- Hans

On 2013-02-13, at 1:25 PM, "Jim Lawrence" <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi Shamil:
>
> What you have stated is very true. One tech can not be the best at all
> disciplines.
>
> But I do feel that one tech should have a good understanding of the
> available options and solutions. There is never one solution to a problem
> but many and any number would produce adequate results. That Awareness is
> what is most important.
>
> Like a carpenter, who can builds a house but must be aware of the
> requirements of the plumber, electrician, mason, roofer, etc...
>
> Modern companies when they hire a new tech are not so much concerned with
> what the tech knows but their ability to learn new technologies and apply
> them. Every company knows that within ten years everything that tech
> initially arrived with will be gone or changed to the point of being
> unrecognizable.
>
> And this leads into another good point you brought up; "Standards". This
is
> most important or the industry, or just the company that refuses to adapt,
> will be gone, in but a few years.
>
> One comment that I do not fully agree with is the concept that there is,
> "the right tool for the right job". In this industry there are many tools,
> for every job and each can produce, in the right hands, the required
> results.
>
> As I have said before., "I know many more dead-languages than I know live
> ones."...and that list is getting longer every day. So forgive my lack of
> loyalty to any company or product; my only loyalty should be to the
client.

> Jim

they
> will effectively delegate that project/job to a third-party and
> acquire/integrate the results of their work via standard/custom (web)
APIs.