[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Feb 14 03:32:40 CST 2013

 <<<
Is this actually a critical issue for most people? Is it an issue that cannot be solved by either forking
IE into two versions - IE and IE Classic? Or perhaps having a compatibility layer, like what already
exists in IE, so that some things can use Trident if needed, while the main engine remains WebKit?

AFAIK Web Browser Automation is widely used.
AFAIU (I can be wrong) Web Browser Automation "ties" could have been the source of IE's previous (before IE10) versions "slowness", "memory hungriness/leakages" etc.
Still Microsoft could "kill" it as they did with VB6 and other technologies but as we can see with IE10 Microsoft have done a lot of work to fix the prev. IE versions issues. I doubt they would want to "throw away" all that work. And compatibility layer could result in Microsoft IE10 and new versions rendering/JavaScript interpretation code optimization results getting (partially) lost. I can be completely wrong. I do not know how IE code base is organized internally.

-- Shamil

Четверг, 14 февраля 2013, 1:04 -08:00 от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

>> - because of the fact that IE and its rendering and Javascript interpretation engine(s) should be tightly coupled with Web Browser Automation and so it could be very hard to "cut/refactor that Automation ties" without breaking a lot of custom software using Web Browser Automation features.
>
>Is this actually a critical issue for most people? Is it an issue that cannot be solved by either forking IE into two versions - IE and IE Classic? Or perhaps having a compatibility layer, like what already exists in IE, so that some things can use Trident if needed, while the main engine remains WebKit?
>
>- Hans
>

>On 2013-02-14, at 12:18 AM, Salakhetdinov Shamil < mcp2004 at mail.ru > wrote:
>
>> <<<
>> As I have expressed previously here, I have my fingers crossed that Microsoft will follow suit.
>>>>>
>> I'd not mind :) ... but I doubt it will happen (real soon if ever):
>>
>> - first of all because as we all know "Microsoft is not following standards but they create them" :) and
>> - because of the fact that IE and its rendering and Javascript interpretation engine(s) should be tightly coupled with Web Browser Automation and so it could be very hard to "cut/refactor that Automation ties" without breaking a lot of custom software using Web Browser Automation features.
>>
>> -- Shamil
<<< skipped >>>