[dba-Tech] FYI: Moving to "nirvana": if Microsoft were to shift to WebKit, you can thank Opera.

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Feb 14 05:26:17 CST 2013

 Hi Hans --

<<<
This is interesting. Could you possibly provide a few examples of where it is used in a manner that is important in some way?

To Automate web applications testing:  http://watin.org/documentation/  ( http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cXeloE2gh )

To Automate repetitive tasks when web browsing is a part of a larger desktop application, e.g.

" Efficient data entry through browser automation"

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/338036/BrowserAutomationCrawler

" Microsoft Web Browser Automation using C#"

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5452/Microsoft-Web-Browser-Automation-using-C

The above is just a generic example - for that case Google API can be used of course but there could be many other cases when there is no any web API and (as I noted above) web browsing functionality is a part of a larger desktop application.

In the past (no web services/no web APIs) Microsoft Web Browser Automation was used in (VB6/VBA) apps for web crawling/scraping....

To see more examples browse:  http://www.codeproject.com/search.aspx?q=web+browser+automation&x=0&y=0&sbo=kw&pgnum=5

or google by "microsoft web browser automation".

-- Shamil

P.S. I guess Microsoft Web Browser Automation is also used in Selenium ( http://docs.seleniumhq.org/docs/index.jsp ) for IE testing automation...